We all learn from positive interactions and like to get encouragement. Infants and toddlers need to be noticed, recognized, and encouraged, too. Here are some sample phrases you can use to celebrate and encourage an infant or toddler:
- I am so glad to see you.
- Tasha, you are working so hard (to reach your toes, to pull up your pants, to do that puzzle, etc.)
- Jamal, you look so happy reading that book.
- Adrienne, look at Jackie’s face. I can tell she is so excited to play with you.
- I bet you feel so proud!
- Thank you for helping me.
- You all look so excited to try the new toy!
- You put your own plate in the dish bin. Thank you.
- You figured it out!
- You can do hard things.
- That was very kind of you to share the book.
- Let me write down your words, so we remember this.
- Let’s take a picture of this for your mom and dad.
In the space below, record some of the phrases you use to encourage the infants and toddlers you work with: