Communication and sharing of ideas are central to our lives. Take a little bit of time to learn more about one of the digital spaces where ideas are shared: TED conferences. In its own words, TED is a nonprofit “devoted to ideas worth spreading.” World-famous wildly talented artists, scientists, and inventors share their thought-provoking ideas in short multimedia presentations.
Challenge your own thoughts on communication by watching a few videos. Here are some recommendations:
- Julian Treasure, a leading sound expert whose work focuses in transforming communication, health, productivity and relationships through mastery of speaking and listening, shares advice about ways to listen better.
- Amy Cuddy, a social psychologist known for her research on stereotyping and discrimination, emotions, power, and nonverbal behavior, gives a talk on the significance of body language.
- Laura Trice, a therapist and coach, talks about the significance of saying “Thank you”.
- Brené Brown, a professor and researcher who studies human connection, gives a talk entitled “The Power of Vulnerability.”
- You can also find 8 videos compiled under the playlist “Listen up.”
After you have watched a few videos, answer these questions.
- What did you learn about communication?
- What did you learn about your own communication?
- What did you learn about communication in others?
- Did any of the information you learned challenge any of your preconceived notions about communication?