Aiden has been out sick for several days. You are getting worried, so you call his home to check on him. Aiden’s father answers the phone. He apologizes for not calling sooner. He tells you that Aiden was hospitalized over the weekend. He was diagnosed with Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes. Use the procedures in your workplace to answer the questions that follow.
- What information will you and your program need about Aiden’s condition?
- What paperwork will Aiden’s father need to complete?
- Who else should Aiden’s father talk to (e.g., administrator, nurse, health consultant) in your program? Think about (a) who needs to know and (b) who would be a good resource for the family.
- What procedures will you need to follow in the program? Think about storing his care plan, storing medication, disposing of medical equipment, and other concerns.
- What are your program’s policies when it comes to providing care for children with special health needs? Does your program require and provide training to care for children with special health needs?