A great way to keep yourself and your school-agers informed on the best ways to maintain a healthy environment is to take advantage of some the wonderful and free resources available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Explore the different resources for children and youth listed below. Answer the questions and plan ways to share the information with school-agers. Share your responses with your trainer, coach or administrator.
Then answer the questions below and share your answers with a trainer, coach, or administrator.
A selection of handwashing podcasts from the CDC:
- Protect Yourself from Germ Monsters
Listen to this podcast from the CDC
- Lurking in the Locker Room
Sometimes kids don't always think about where germs could be. Check out the Lurking in the Locker Room resource from the CDC's Body & Mind website to help kids think about their environment
- Body & Mind
The CDC also has a wonderful website for kids all about personal health, hygiene and safety. There are games, resources and much more that you could use in your classrooms.
- How could you use this information with school-agers?
- Creating podcasts would be a fun and easy way to get your school-age children involved in health-related topics. What are some topics about healthy environments you think school-age children might enjoy researching and developing a podcast for?
- What are three things you will do to help create a safe and healthy environment for school-age children?