Directions: During a staff meeting or group training, share a copy of your program’s guidance and touch policy, then read and review it together with your staff. Use the questions below to guide your conversation with staff and determine where additional follow-up may be needed.
- Are there elements of the policy that surprised you?
- What parts of the policy, if any, are you struggling to understand? What follow-up questions do you have (be specific in documenting these questions)?
- How do you work together with your coworkers to make sure this policy is followed and implemented well?
- Have you ever had to explain this policy, or questions related to it, to families? What were those conversations like?
- Are there parts of the policy that make you feel worried or that you were misinformed about? For example, are some staff worried they might get in trouble for holding a child’s hand or giving them a hug?
- What support or training would you need to understand and follow the policy? Think about new staff and seasoned staff.
- How would you share your understanding of the guidance and touch policy with new staff in your classroom? How would you bring this policy up during a team meeting or within your classroom?
- Are there things you don’t know about the policy? For example, are there any “gray areas” or inconsistencies that you have a hard time discussing with staff? What would make things clearer for you?